INOX – Steel processing guide
4- DIFFERENT STEEL PRODUCTS
The considerable diversification of industrial applications reached by the stainless steels has necessarily brought the processors companies need to be able to have different steel products on the market in various formats.
The basic products supplied by steel plant, can be divided into “flat” and “long” products.
Among the former can be classified:
- wide flats (rolled or cut from the plate);
- hot-rolled sheets;
- cold-rolled plate;
- ot-rolled strip;
- cold rolled strip.
Among the latter:
- products in bars (rolled or drawn);
- seamless pipes;
- welded tubes.
To these types of products are to be added the “jets”, that is to say different products obtained by casting.
Both for flat products than for long products are now available on the market, of various sizes, to satisfy any type of application requirement.
From standard formats supplied by steel mill it is still possible to get any kind of subformat to size for special requests.
At the level of Italian legislation, reference can be made, for the different products mentioned above, to the following UNI standards:
- UNI 3159: Stainless steel castings or sand cast alloy, heat-resistant (refractory). Quality, requirements and tests.
- UNI 3161: Stainless steel castings sand cast, corrosion-resistant. Quality, requirements and tests.
- UNI 6900: Special stainless alloy steel resistant to corrosion and heat.
- UNI 6901: Semifinished and rods, hot-rolled or forged products and wire rod of special steel resistant to corrosion and heat steel.
- UNI 6904: Pipes made of special stainless steel bonded corrosion resistant and heat.
- UNI 8317: Finished products of flat stainless steel resistant to corrosion and heat. Sheet metal, sheet metal, wide and narrow strips.